Saturday, October 09, 2004

Score one for President Bush

I didn't get to see the presidential debate last night, so I had to rely on media reaction. Most of the opinion writers say President Bush won the debate. Since I read a lot of conservative writers, I really wasn't convinced until I found reaction from (left leaning)Slate.

When their writer admits President Bush won, it must have been a clear victory.

I think the most damaging answer from Kerry was when he showed he has no convictions and explained how religious convictions are irrelevant. He was asked for assurance that tax dollars would not fund abortion. His reply:
First of all, I cannot tell you how deeply I respect the belief about life and when it begins. I'm a Catholic, raised a Catholic. I was an altar boy. Religion has been a huge part of my life. It helped lead me through a war, leads me today.

But I can't take what is an article of faith for me and legislate it for someone who doesn't share that article of faith, whether they be agnostic, atheist, Jew, Protestant, whatever. I can't do that.

So, because his belief is supposedly based on his religious views, he refuses to take action to support that belief. In that case, I have to say he really doesn't have the beliefs he claims to hold.

What is most alarming is that this candidate for President is saying it is wrong for people with religious convictions to support public policies that support their religious beliefs. He thinks the ethical position is for religious people to support policies that do the opposite of what they believe. In this case, religious people should support laws that promote abortion.

Never mind that non-religious people are forcing their views on us with their public policy. John Kerry believes that is OK because it is supposedly not religious. So much for Freedom of religion.